It’s fun decorating a home with canvas wall art and other decor accents. Using paintings as decor is affordable yet is able to create a dramatic difference in how a room or home looks. Artwork also tends to have an effect on a viewer’s feelings and emotions.
That’s why it is important to pick appropriate artwork for your home and for each room in the house. Consider the room’s purpose and how people should feel in these rooms. Do you want people to feel relaxed or upbeat?
1) Contrast – Creating contrast within the artwork and between the painting and its surroundings is important. When choosing paintings, avoid getting artwork that has the same dominant color as your wall paint. Hanging a canvas that has similar shades as your wall paint will make the painting blend with the wall instead of standing out. Choose paintings that contain colors from secondary shades on the room such as the color found in your lampshade, throw pillows, curtains, couch upholstery, area rug and other decorations in the room.
2) Size – Getting the size right is also a big deal. If you get a painting that is too small for your wall or the room. It will look out-of-place and awkward. The artwork will be unnoticeable because it is dwarfed among big furniture and other decorations. Large canvas paintings are impressive and awesome but only if placed in a large room or wall. A painting that is too big will overwhelm everything else in the room. People also need to move back more when viewing large paintings to appreciate it properly. So, consider the space in front of the painting too.
3) Color – The colors on your artwork can influence the mood in the room and emotions of the viewer. Cool colors like green and blue tend to calm people while warm colors such as yellow, gold, orange and red tend to excite people. Consider the effects of the painting’s colors when deciding where to hang them. You might want to hang calming blue and green artwork in bedrooms and hang artwork with warm colors where you entertain guests like in the living room and dining room.
4) Style – The style in which the painting was made is also a factor that can make the painting match or clash with its surroundings. If you live in a home furnished in traditional style furniture, then it is best to hang paintings painted in traditional styles like impressionist landscapes or portraits. If your house is urban chic, then hang abstract canvas. If your home’s furnishings are contemporary, you should consider contemporary canvas wall art too.
5) Taste – Your personal taste should also be considered of course. If you want a successfully decorated home that will satisfy the home owner, then the personal taste of the home owner should be valued. If you are decorating a home for someone, you have to make sure that your client is happy with the final result. Hanging a painting that does not appeal to your client will not make him very happy.
There are tons of artwork on the internet, more than you will be able to find at a couple of art galleries in your neighborhood. Buying art online is also quite safe aside from being very convenient and economical. You have to leisure of taking your time to choose the right artwork if you buy it online. Take your time to compare prices and painting styles to make sure you get the right canvas wall art for your home.